New Jersey Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Pedestrian accidents hurt or kill tens of thousands of people each year in the United States. The New Jersey Pedestrian Accident Lawyers at the Baxter Law Firm represent individuals and families who have been impacted by pedestrian accidents, whether vehicle or nonvehicle-related. We have the experience, knowledge and drive to help bring about a fair and full settlement or verdict for the injured.
Five Thousand Pedestrian Accident Fatalities a Year
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), nearly 80,000 pedestrians are hit by a car or other type of vehicle on the road each year, and of those, 5,000 result in death. Children and the elderly are the most frequent pedestrian victims, and their small size or frailty makes them especially vulnerable.
Vehicle-Related Pedestrian Accidents
There are various factors that cause a driver to hit a pedestrian with his/her vehicle. For example:
- If the driver negligently disobeys a stop light or a stop sign in which the pedestrian has the right of way, or if he/she fails to signal while turning.
- If the driver is distracted; for instance if he/she is talking on a cell phone, eating or looking at a map for directions.
- If the driver is driving recklessly at excess speeds and loses control of the vehicle or is unable to stop quickly.
- If the driver is driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Determining Who Is at Fault for the Pedestrian Accident
It must be noted, however, that in some cases a pedestrian who is hit was also at fault for the collision, in part or completely. For example, a pedestrian may have:
- Ignored “walk/don’t walk” signals or failed to use marked pedestrian cross walks.
- Darted in front of a vehicle or entered a street from between two parked vehicles so the driver could not see the pedestrian coming.
It’s a good idea to discuss the circumstances of a pedestrian accident with an experienced personal injury attorney in order to determine which party or parties are liable for the accident. After thoroughly evaluating the case, a lawyer for pedestrian accident injury cases will be able to determine the cause of the accident and fight to ensure all responsible parties are held liable.
Nonvehicle-Related Pedestrian Accidents
Thousands of nonvehicle-related pedestrian accidents occur each year as well, such as when a pedestrian is hurt passing a construction site, or in a on a poorly maintained walkway or other property. Pedestrian accidents also occur in parking lots and parking structures. When a pedestrian is hurt or killed on the premises or property of another individual or company, it is considered an issue for premises liability law. The Baxter Law Firm pedestrian accident attorneys have extensive experience with this area of law, and can help the injured party receive the compensation they need and deserve.
Discuss Your Situation with an Experienced New Jersey Injury Attorney
Whatever the circumstances of your pedestrian accident, you have legal rights that should be protected. Contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your situation.